March is Endometriosis Awareness Month
March is Endometriosis Awareness Month observed every year in the United States.
What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis is an incurable but manageable gynecological condition. It occurs when endometrial implants, comprised of tissue normally found within the uterus, are present in other areas of the body. It’s a long-term condition that can have a significant impact on the life of the patient.
What are the symptoms?
- Pain in your lower tummy or back
- Period pain that stops you from doing your normal activities
- Pain during or after sexual intercourse
- Pain during period
- Difficulty becoming pregnant
What are the ways to reduce the risk?
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid large amounts of alcohol
- Avoid large amounts of caffeine
Updated: March 23, 2021